Confessions of a Breastfeeding Mom

In honor of National Breastfeeding Month, I thought I would share some of my breastfeeding confessions. Also, I am sharing 12 really great breastfeeding posts written by a few of the mamas from my Mom Blog Tribe. Make sure you scroll down to check them out – these moms have some great experiences and advice!

Ok, let the confessions begin..

Confessions of a Breastfeeding Mom - Breastfeeding Blog Post Roundup & Super Basic Breastfeeding Checklist included - Click to get it!

I didn’t enjoy breastfeeding for the first few months.

The first day my son was born, I was in complete awe over how he nuzzled his way down to nurse within minutes of being laid on my chest. But once we left the hospital that awe went straight out the window. It hurt. It was awkward. And it hurt. When my friends would tell me that I would start to love it, I had serious doubts.

I constantly questioned my milk supply.

There was no reason to, I just did. My son gained weight fine, he peed and pooped as he should but, still, I was always thinking I didn’t have enough.

I was too lazy to pump.

The only times I ever pumped was during the engorgement stage and the few times that my son slept through a feeding. (I know there’s different school’s of thought on this but mine is, unless there is a medical reason to wake the baby for a feeding, I don’t!) Other than that, I was just way too tired physically and mentally to keep up with pumping on a regular basis.

I gave my baby some formula.

Being away from my baby and unable to feed him was extremely rare but for such events (since I didn’t pump) I had formula.

I hid said formula because I was ashamed.

Yep. I have only ever told a couple of people (until now, that is) that I had formula on hand as backup because I felt so guilty and feared being judged.

I worried that my milk wasn’t good enough for my baby.

Ironically enough, I often worried that my milk wouldn’t be nutritious enough and frequently thought that maybe I should just give my son formula.

I co-sleep because, again, I’m lazy.

To me, one of the biggest perks of breastfeeding is you don’t actually have to get up to feed the baby. Just make sure the boobs are out and sleep tight. (I love my sleep!)

I’ve never worn a nursing bra.

A friend of mine told me to buy nursing sports bras. So, I went to the store to get one and… yikes…  they’re expensive. I bought two regular old sports bras for less than the price of one nursing sports bra. I wore those for awhile then, eventually I just started wearing my regular bras again. I fill them in a little more than before but, to be honest, I kind of like it.

I have nursed my son while in a moving vehicle.

Don’t worry, he was safely buckled in his car seat. I’ve also nursed while sitting in a kids’ playhouse at one of those little kiddie land places, in the bath tub and on the toilet!

I’m pretty shocked that I have breastfed so long, or at all.

I initially set a breastfeeding goal of 6 months because mentally that felt much more doable than a year or more. But, honestly, I had little faith in myself that I would make it past the first two weeks (I’m pretty sure my support people had even less faith in me!). I was quite shocked that I even made it to six months let alone 14 months (and counting).

Please note, I am speaking from the experience of someone that had minimal challenges. We had a very small latch problem that was fixed in the first three days and my son had oral thrush for two months but there were no major difficulties for us. So, for me, the biggest battle was really and truly my own will and mindset.

What breastfeeding confession do you have?

As promised, here are some really great Breastfeeding articles from my Mom Blog Tribe. Check them out!

The Early Days of Breastfeeding – Sophia Says Hello

Intimacy and the Breastfeeding Mother – Lactivist in Louboutins

Breastfeeding My Biggest Nursing Surprises – Short Sweet Mom

5 Things to Include in a Distraction Free Breastfeeding Zone – SoLace in a Small Town

Challenges with Breastfeeding a Toddler – Healthy Happy Thrifty Family

Lessons in Breastfeeding – Momma Junebug

These are a Few of My Favorite Breastfeeding Things – Naturally Made With Love

Breastfeeding While Traveling – Tapped Out Travellers

Confessions of an Exclusively Breastfeeding Mom – From Nurse to Mom

Working Mom Breastfeeding Essentials – Fab Working Mom Life

15+ Recipes that Boost Lactation for Breastfeeding Moms – Fab Working Mom Life

Remembering the Last Latch – Fab Working Mom Life

One more thing! Are you a soon-to-be breastfeeding mama or know someone who is?

Get a FREE Download of my Super Basic Breastfeeding Checklist.

Super Basic Breastfeeding Checklist - Click for a FREE download

24 thoughts on “Confessions of a Breastfeeding Mom

1. Nikki Crump August 11, 2016 / 11:05 am

I’m also guilty of doing these things! LOL

• inezbayardo August 11, 2016 / 2:54 pm

Good to know I’m not the only one! haha

2. Megan L August 11, 2016 / 11:56 am

Love this! I’m with you on the fear of judgment – everyone’s got an opinion, I just don’t want to know about them 😉 I could go on and on about the benefits of co-sleeping, but really I just love not getting out of bed. I educated myself on the benefits so I could logically defend my right to be lazy.

• inezbayardo August 11, 2016 / 2:56 pm

That’s hilarious! I actually have a post coming up on the truth about co-sleeping. I was so scared to do it but after researching a bit I realized we are just really misinformed on the subject. Good thing, too.. because I love not getting out of bed! haha

3. elena August 11, 2016 / 5:52 pm

OMG this brings back memories… I have five and I BF them all over 1 1/2 some a little over 2 years but….
    with my 5th I didn’t produce milk, my son had trouble latching on and the lactation nurse looked at me and said .. oh this is number 5 you got this…i didn’t have it .. he was dehydrated and i took him back to the hospital the day he came home…he was in there for 4 days…still very little milk from me in spite of iv fluids..well my dad brought me some HI C yes Hi C good old 88 cent at walmart for a huge jug..I drank it 2 cups and instantly I felt a letdown..it flowed for 18 months after that LOL

4. Melissa@SimpleMountainMama August 12, 2016 / 11:04 am

I’m so impressed you never wore a nursing bra! I couldn’t have made it through without mine! Congrats on meeting your BFing goal!

5. Georgiana August 12, 2016 / 8:15 pm

LOL, all the places you’ve breastfed! You rebel. My oldest had oral thrush, and that was the worst because it caused an issue for my nipples which made breastfeeding so painful! Thankfully we overcame that. Those were the good ol’ days.

6. Emily August 12, 2016 / 8:40 pm

Love your honesty! I wish I co-slept more. My husband was nervous about it, but I still did it sometimes. So convenient & worked for me when I just needed more sleeeeeep! 😉 I always questioned my milk supply….I think it’s a common fear! So awesome to hear your story! xx

7. Stephanie August 13, 2016 / 6:42 am

I’m going through the same thing! This is spot on. 9 months and counting

8. Stefani @ Crafty Christian August 13, 2016 / 11:36 am

Love the honesty! Mine all got a little formula (my oldest was only breastfed 3 months), and I hated pumping too!

9. Shortsweetmom August 13, 2016 / 3:19 pm

This is great! I can relate to so much of this! My munchkin is still co-sleeping partly because I would rather stay in bed when she wants to nurse than get up.

10. Kayvona August 14, 2016 / 5:34 am

OMG yes the too lazy to pump and co – sleeping were totally me. I breastfeed for 2 years with my first and I definitely plan on only going a year with my baby I’m expecting in October. and I have to stop being lazy because I really want to pump this time haha!

11. Lacey August 14, 2016 / 8:03 pm

Ok so I love these and I have to add that I did wear nursing bras but I always forget that they are nursing bras …lol

12. Susan August 14, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Super -relatable post! Been there. It’s an amazing experience, but oh, the emotions!

13. Erika - MyLifeWithLittles August 15, 2016 / 1:14 pm

This is a great post. It helps to hear an honest and real perspective. And I too coslept because I was too lazy! haha

14. Alexie August 17, 2016 / 10:04 am

I’m still am always questioning my milk supply! Great post for moms who are thinking of or who are breastfeeding!

• inezbayardo August 17, 2016 / 2:47 pm

Me too!! haha. My son has been a little chongested for a few days which makes nursing a little uncomfortable for him. The first time he couldn’t seem to get comfortable I was like… “OMG. I’m out of milk!” haha

Thanks!

15. J. Ivy Boyter August 19, 2016 / 10:38 am

Oh boy. I confessed in an earlier blog post that I didn’t want to breastfeed again… I was scared. Well, my second baby was all about nursing and I absolutely hated it for the first couple months. We’re 8 months in and I’m not as down about it, though I can’t wait for him to turn a year