This is Why I am a Stay-At-Home Mom

Shortly after finding out that I was pregnant with my son, I did something that I said I would never do. I looked into daycare costs. At the time, I lived over 2,000 miles from family and I had no other income to rely on. Despite the fact that I had always pictured myself as a stay-at-home mom, I had to work.

Looking at daycare, even if it was in the home of a loving Tutu, and imagining myself working long hours, spending limited time with my baby was heartbreaking. It wasn’t something I wanted to do but I didn’t feel that I had any other choice.

I had to support myself and my baby.

When my parents offered for me to move back to California and live with them rent free, I accepted for one reason and one reason only – I wanted to be home with my son. I didn’t do it for the financial help, I did it so that I could be the one to take care of my son.

My goal was to stay home for my son’s first year, at least.

I never would have imagined that so many people would take issue with this. I am consistently met with questions of why I don’t want to work or some other less polite variation of the question.

Are you kidding me?!? I would love to work! I love to work. (Yes, yes, being a stay-at-home mom is most certainly “work” but I am using the word in the way in which people mean it, in exchange for monetary pay.) I miss going to a job, being recognized for my hard work and I miss getting paid!

Trust me, I don’t stay home with my son because I don’t want to work.

This is Why I Am a Stay-At-Home Mom - Diary of a New Mommy

It’s not because I’m lazy or lack structure, either (also, things I’ve been told).

• I am a stay-at-home mom because I’ve never met a mom with adult children who says she wishes she had worked more.
  • I am a stay-at-home mom because time goes by so fast.
  • I am a stay-at-home mom because his hugs, kisses and smiles are better than any paycheck I’ve ever gotten.
  • I am a stay-at-home mom because I recognize that it is a gift that not every mother has been given.

I am a stay-at-home mom because it’s the best job I’ve ever had!

This post is part of a Blog Hop from Blogs and Business: Moms Who Do it All Facebook Group.

Check out some of the other awesome blog posts below:

Daily Momtivity | Thrifty Guardian | Blue Eyed Babies | Tot Tot Goose | The Violet Moon | The Triplet Farm | The Non Housewives | From Engineer to SAHM | Be Fed Again | Sweet Tiny Blessings | Loud Parent | Every Super Woman | Mrs and Momma | Sweet Discord | Southern Mommas Reviews | The Outnumbered Nest | LATOM | Organized Homeschool | Stellar Mama | PB Pearls | A Cotton Kandi Life | A Bird with a French Fry | Novice Mommy | Meera Kothand | Misty Shaheen | Fighting for Fitness | Cheeky Days | Hebrew Dawn | Tilt a Mom | Tid Bits of Experience | Frugal Coupon Crazy | Lilies and Lambs | Projects and Parenting | Modern Mama Blog | The Seventh Mom Project | Life Moves On

20 thoughts on “This is Why I am a Stay-At-Home Mom

1. Christy April 16, 2016 / 3:39 pm

I received some similar comments when I decided to stay home. But with three that would need daycare, it didn’t make sense for me to work. But no one ever said at the end of their life “I wish I had spent less time with my kids”.

2. Shannon April 16, 2016 / 7:57 pm

You are very lucky to have this time with your little one! You are doing the most important job right now and no one can take that from you!

3. Angela April 16, 2016 / 8:00 pm

I love this. I am a stay at home mom too. And although I am sure I will go back to work one day I am loving time with my babies now. They grow sooooo fast and I don’t want to miss it if I don’t have to!

4. Theresa April 17, 2016 / 5:28 am

Sometimes I wish I was staying at home! Both have their perks. Being at home and being a part of your kids’ lives is something you can’t get back!

• inezbayardo April 21, 2016 / 1:00 am

Yeah, the time really does go by fast. And I know so many women that were stay at home moms and now have careers again. It’s just a season. And I’m enjoying it (almost) every minute. Thanks for stopping by, Theresa. 🙂

5. Ros Emely@stressfreemommies April 17, 2016 / 4:11 pm

I am a stay at home mom too and I love it. Yes, there are hard times but being with them makes it all worth it.

• inezbayardo April 21, 2016 / 12:59 am

It really is the best. I feel extremely blessed to able to be home with my son. Thanks for stopping by!

6. Denise April 17, 2016 / 6:10 pm

I stayed at home until my youngest was in school and then got a job in the district so I would be off when my kids were off.

• inezbayardo April 21, 2016 / 12:59 am

I’ve been considering getting in with the school district… if I must work. haha. That really is ideal to be home with the kids when they’re off. Thanks for reading, Denise!

7. Myda Tahir April 17, 2016 / 10:34 pm

love the post, Thanks Inez, also a physician aspiring to join the wards soon.
    Well, I still have to the post of this blog hop.
    Life Moves on.

8. Hil April 18, 2016 / 4:30 am

Yes! I stay home with my two as well, although in Canada MAT leave is for the first year so it is not uncommon, most of my friends stayed home until baby was 1.5-2 years though. It is not an easy job and very little recognition but it is totally worth it to be able to see your little ones learn and develop so quickly.

Have you linked up at #everythingkids yet this week? You should!

• inezbayardo April 21, 2016 / 12:57 am

No, I haven’t linked up. I need to be better at link ups. (Sigh) Also, I LOVE that Canada’s maternity leave is a year. I think that is SO awesome! I’m fortunate that I’m able to stay home but I feel so awful for moms in the U.S. that have to go back as early as 6 weeks. I can’t even leave my 10 month old for more than a few hours! So sad.