3 Tips on Relationships for Moms (Real Moms Talk Takeaways)

3 Relationships Tips for Mom - Real Moms Talk @ Diary of a New Mommy

I really enjoyed Real Moms Talk Relationships in the month of March. I think my biggest takeaway by far is that a lot of moms struggle with maintaining, cultivating and finding relationships!

But we need relationships. As human beings, it is in our nature to love and be loved (and I don’t just mean in the romantic sense!). We are wired for it. So, even as busy moms, I think it’s important that we don’t neglect our relationships.

I also think we should be open to new relationships. I know for some of us that sounds exhausting. I said “open to”, not that we need to run out and ask every mom on the playground for her number or social media handles.

Here are some tips that I’ve learned through hearing from the awesome mamas in this series:

1. Be Intentional – Being a mom is busy. In 2016, being human is busy! If we don’t intentionally carve out time to invest in relationships then it’s not going to happen. This goes for our relationships with our kids, too. Set aside time to call a friend, schedule a date night, go ahead and go to that girls night out you sort of want to go to but kind of don’t want to take off your yoga pants for. Make time for your relationships.
  2. Reach Out – I know, I know, your friends are just as busy as you are. Maybe busier. I get it. But that doesn’t mean that they don’t want or need a little friend time, too. Sometimes it takes awhile to actually connect but don’t let that keep you from reaching out. I mean, don’t be a stalker but I think you get what I’m saying – don’t be afraid to reach out.
  3. Know Your Season – Relationships don’t always look the same from one season to the next… and that’s ok. With a baby, I don’t have the same freedom that I had in the past to invest in relationships or that I may have in the future as my son gets older. Giving him my best means that I simply can’t have the same types of relationships I had in the past and I may have to take a step back from relationships that once took priority. And that’s ok.

This month, we will be trying something new and covering multiple topics. Next week, we start off with Mommy Wars!

Real Moms Talk Contributor - Diary of a New Mommy

You are always encouraged to  join the Real Moms Talk conversation by commenting but you can also join as a contributor. If you would like to submit a guest post or participate in an interview, please email me at inez@novicemommy.com.

23 thoughts on “3 Tips on Relationships for Moms (Real Moms Talk Takeaways)

1. Mihaela Echols April 1, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Yes know your season! I have a great friend who can honestly say it works. Why? Because we extend grace to each other. We cancel and play it by ear all the time for meet ups and play dates. Things in life change every day and we recognize that.
    Great post!

2. Khalilah April 1, 2016 / 3:06 pm

This is sooooo true and very important to remember. I find that a lot of military spouses experience the same type of detachment just due to the nature of a military family unit. This was such a great post. Thank you so much for sharing. I think I will definitely email to be a contributor. I think it sounds very interesting.

3. Megan Darda April 1, 2016 / 3:53 pm

These are great tips for mommys. Thanks for sharing these.

4. Marissa April 2, 2016 / 5:36 am

It is so hard to remember seasons change and that means our friendships and priorities will be different at times too.

5. Caroline @ In Due Time April 2, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Be intentional! Such an important lesson for any relationship. I know I DEFINITELY need help in that area!

6. Kirby Ingles April 4, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Opening yourself up to new opportunities and relationships stretches us and helps us grow. Keep up the good work.

7. Hil April 4, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Yes! Always reach out. No news is good news is not always true. If they haven’t reached out to you maybe they are suffering PPD or other things and need you support more.

• inezbayardo April 6, 2016 / 1:11 pm

This is VERY true! Great point. 🙂

8. Nikki April 4, 2016 / 11:02 pm

I’ve definitely found myself making a lot of play dates. I’ve been wanting to go out more lately and make new friends. I need friends.

• inezbayardo April 6, 2016 / 12:16 am

I am trying to make more play/friend dates, too. I’ve finally gotten to the point where I just tell people that want to hang out that they are more than welcome to come over. I can’t always go out but I’m always home and can easily make room for friends to join me. 🙂 Thanks for reading!

9. Jennifer St Louis April 5, 2016 / 6:35 am

Thanks for posting. I think reaching out is so important! You never know when a friend really needs you unless you ask.

• inezbayardo April 6, 2016 / 12:14 am

That is very true and a great reminder – it’s not always about us, maybe the other person needs us to reach out! Thanks for reading!

10. Nicole April 5, 2016 / 9:52 pm

Good points 🙂

11. malena penney April 5, 2016 / 11:35 pm

I love this advice…especially about the Seasons…I’d never thought of it that way!

12. Lisa April 6, 2016 / 2:04 am

Lovely post! I totally agree relationships are important for us mums! I’ve made some great mummy friends from my sons nursery and we’re still in contact 4 years on. Don’t see each other all the time but always meet up in holidays and for birthdays!
    Lisa
    Beauxdiaries.com

13. Sheena April 6, 2016 / 10:11 am

Exactly! I wouldn’t make it without my friends. Mom-ing can be very isolating, you HAVE got to have people around you pushing you forward!

14. Jed April 8, 2016 / 4:46 am

Great thoughts. I especially enjoyed #3. As our family prepares for the arrival of our fourth daughter, I am spending less time investing in others. Your thoughts are a good reminder to me that it’s OK to slow down during the busy, and extra special seasons of life.

15. danielle wells April 8, 2016 / 7:29 pm

I think these tips are fabulous and super practical! I especially like #3 – that relationships won’t look the same as 1 year ago or 5 years ago or whatever! So true! Love this post!