What’s So Good About Good Friday?

What's So Good About Good Friday? - Diary of a New Mommy

There is someone in my life who frequently (mistakenly) calls Black Friday “Good Friday”. I usually get a good chuckle out of that. But then I think, perhaps Black Friday is more appropriate for the day we commemorate Jesus’ death – the day the skies went black.

In some countries this day has a more bleak name. So, why do we call it good? Some say that “good” actually started out as “God’s”.  Others suggest that “good” actually meant “holy”. This makes sense but, still, I’m not sure who officially decided “good” was appropriate given that by modern definition it doesn’t seem to be a “good” day.

Seriously, what’s so good about Good Friday?

This morning I spent some time reading with my son about Jesus being sentenced to death and we will continue to read throughout the day. We were reading from his beautifully illustrated Bible for Little Ones, so I would hardly say it’s graphic or very “bleak” by any means. And still, I got choked up reading it.

Perhaps it was because I was holding my baby in my lap thinking about how God gave His son for mine but I was completely overwhelmed.

I am filled with emotion when I think about God’s goodness to us. That He would send His son to die for us, so that we could be united with Him rather than separated by our sin.

That He not only loves us that much but he wants us that much. That He didn’t give up on us, but instead, He pursued us through the cross.

This is the day we remember how Jesus was beaten and bruised so that He could become the Good News for us.

This is a good Friday.

11 thoughts on “What’s So Good About Good Friday?

1. Susannah March 25, 2016 / 10:45 am

I’ve always called it Good Friday. I didn’t know that some people view that as the wrong thing to call it… 😉 And I think this day is VERY good! It’s the day that Jesus, in His goodness, chose to sacrifice Himself on our behalf! God is SO Good! <3<3<3

2. Mihaela Echols March 25, 2016 / 1:27 pm

Isn’t it crazy even reading kids Bibles we are moved by what Christ has done for us!

• inezbayardo March 25, 2016 / 9:32 pm

Yes, it is! I was a children’s pastor for 13 years and I can say week after week God spoke to me through the “kids” lesson. I consistently had teachers tell me the same. 🙂

3. Susan B Mead March 26, 2016 / 8:07 am

So true! The skies turned black and we call it Good now. Because God loved us so much He gave…His Son. Beautiful and Good. May I invite you to share at the DanceWithJesus Linkup at SusanBMead.com/Easter/ to bless someone there?

• inezbayardo March 26, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Thank you Susan. I will check out the linkup!

4. Kirby Ingles March 26, 2016 / 9:31 am

What’s so good about Good Friday? Christ set us free. He accepted an unbearable burden for us. Christ forgiveness, humility, humanity, transcendence and courage that day were incredible.

Great post.

5. Alexandria March 27, 2016 / 11:21 am

Beautifully written! I teared up reading how you teared up. What an amazing and loving friend we have in Jesus.

• inezbayardo March 28, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Yes, an amazing friend indeed! Thanks so much for reading, Alexandria!!

6. Jed April 1, 2016 / 6:35 am

Great thoughts! I’ve always called it Good Friday as well, and used the term “Black Friday” for the day after Easter, when stores supposedly go “in the black.” 🙂 But whatever we choose to call it, this truly is a good day!

7. chloe | boxwood avenue April 6, 2016 / 12:21 am

I completely agree – and thank you for sharing! Good Friday service is always my favorite, and very powerful to me!