Real Moms Talk: Losing the Baby Weight (Part One)

Losing the baby weight NoviceMommy Blog

Unless you count that one time I was in Kindergarten and I was adorably petite, I have basically  battled weight issues my entire life. There have been times that I’ve been comfortable enough with my weight but I’ve never been thin. I’m not sure I’ve ever even really been “normal”, if I have, I was probably just one slice of pizza away from overweight.

Given my history, as I’m sure you can imagine, getting pregnant and gaining weight was terrifying to me. I already wanted to drop a few pounds and had just started actively working on that. Controlling my weight gain was of utmost concern.

I started off great but around the middle of my  third trimester I started packing on the pounds . Of course, this totally freaked me out, knowing that rapid weight gain was looming around the corner in the final weeks.

In the end, I gained 29 pounds. I know that’s not horrible but it was several pounds over what I had hoped to gain. Within a couple of weeks I had dropped 20 pounds and those last 9 pounds have been holding on for dear life!

I’ve tried listening to the common advice about baby weight, “don’t worry about it, give it up to a year” but it’s hard. Really hard. I’m tired of wearing the same three outfits (ok, maybe five) because nothing else fits.

I’m tired of feeling fat.

I get what people are saying – enjoy your baby, really I do get it. Still, I don’t think that means that I have to feel bad about the way I look and, more importantly, the way I feel. I think a mom should start losing weight when she’s ready (after doctor’s approval, of course) and I don’t think she should be made to feel bad about that if it’s sooner than others think it should be.

In December, I decided that I would actually try to lose weight instead of continuing to hold my breath on the whole breastfeeding weight loss plan. So, I cut processed sugar out of my diet. I really thought that would make a big difference.

It didn’t.

In almost two months, I’ve lost all of 4 pounds. I’ve recently started a more strict eating plan, in hopes to get rid of those other 5 pounds this month.

I know I’m not the only  mom who  has gone through this. Sure there are some  “lucky” ones but the majority of women struggle with losing baby weight whether that struggle is physical, emotional, or mental. It  doesn’t matter if it’s 5 pounds or 50 pounds, unwanted weight can really hold a person’s spirits down. Particularly if one is hormonal and sleep deprived.

For the remainder of the month, I will be sharing a weekly post devoted to losing the baby weight. I am really excited about this because you will be able to hear, not just from me, but from other moms who’ve walked this road already. Through guest posts or interviews, we will hear what these moms did to lose the baby weight, the challenges they faced and the things that motivated them. Next week we will have a guest post from a friend of mine.  And, let me tell you, it is good!

I hope you will join me and share this Real Moms Talk series with someone who may need some encouragement.

Also, “Real Moms Talk” will be a regular thing here on the blog. Each month will focus on a new topic. If you have suggestions or would like to collaborate (you don’t have to be a blogger), please comment or email me at inez@novicemommy.com.

Did you find it challenging to drop your baby weight? Or, if you’re pregnant, are you terrified of gaining weight like  I was?

Real Moms Talk NoviceMommy.com

27 thoughts on “Real Moms Talk: Losing the Baby Weight (Part One)

1. Mary Hill February 4, 2016 / 5:46 pm

I found it a struggle to lose my baby weight. I lost initially, but sickness and health issues helped pack it back on and then some. I know how you feel.

• inezbayardo February 4, 2016 / 10:48 pm

Oh wow. That would be discouraging, not to mention dealing with sickness in general. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, Mary!

2. Laurie Messer February 5, 2016 / 8:50 am

It was hard to get the baby weight off, but eventually I did. I was careful with my eating habits and tried to exercise every day.

• inezbayardo February 5, 2016 / 10:22 pm

It sounds like you had good habits. That’s awesome! And it really does take time for most women. I just wish I had started sooner. I really didn’t start off with the best habits. Thanks so much for reading!

3. Heather February 5, 2016 / 12:39 pm

It can be a real challenge. I think it took me almost a year to loose the baby weight from my second child, and because of nursing, I wasy always hungry and I feel like that contributed to staying above my normal weight, but I’d never not nurse given the chance. A lot of moms nurse to actually help with weight loss, but for me I just didn’t discipline myself during that time.

• inezbayardo February 5, 2016 / 10:20 pm

Yes!! I find the nursing and weight loss challenging because I’m always STARVING! You definitely have to watch what you eat because you eat so much. That’s something I was not aware of. I had a very unrealistic idea of what weight loss would be like, specifically because I planned to nurse. A lot of what I had read made it seem like it would be “easy”. Not. At. All. Thank you for reading, Heather!

4. Iman Brooks February 5, 2016 / 3:23 pm

I find this interesting. I lost all 25ib (or 35ib pounds if you count the weight I lost and had to put back on), with the first 3 or 4 months of my sons birth. What I have found hard to deal with is the change in the way my body looks. My son will be 4 in April and I am finally started to get some confidence back.

• inezbayardo February 5, 2016 / 10:16 pm

Yes, that’s actually something I will cover in a future post. Even though I have actually been heavier than I am now, I have never carried my weight in some of the spots I now have it. Everything’s shifted. haha. Thanks for reading!

5. Nicole February 5, 2016 / 7:34 pm

I think it is good that you want to look your best and take care of your body. I know it can be frustrating when it is taking longer then you want, but hang in there! You can do it, I am cheering for you!

6. Christia Colquitt February 6, 2016 / 3:34 am

I found the weight stuck around longer the more babies I had! Totally worth it!

• inezbayardo February 7, 2016 / 7:17 pm

I certainly wouldn’t mind keeping the weight around if it meant more babies! haha. It is most definitely worth it. I’d do it again a million times over. Thanks for reading!

7. Brandy February 6, 2016 / 4:50 am

I still have yet to lose all the weight from my first born, she is now 13. I gained near 100 lbs with her, and am stuck at 191 now after giving birth to her brothers since then. I only gained under 20 lbs with my sons, if even that much. BUT that first born weight is so hard to get off because it was a HUGE chunk!

• inezbayardo February 7, 2016 / 7:16 pm

I know gaining a lot of weight with the first is very common. It’s taken me two months to drop 6 pounds… so I can definitely see how it could take years. Thanks for reading and sharing your experience!

8. Hey, It's Gina February 8, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Hey Inez, like you I didn’t start to gain weight until the middle of my third trimester. The bulk of it, I got off I guess due to the breastfeeding, but I had to really work to get the rest off. Then I had to deal with where I started, lol!
    Nevertheless, your series sounds like a great idea. Mommyhood is a beast!

Take Care,
    GinaB

• inezbayardo February 8, 2016 / 9:50 pm

Sounds very similar to me! I’m looking forward to the series. I know I can definitely use mommy support! Thanks so much for reading, Gina. 🙂

9. Susannah February 10, 2016 / 11:36 am

Oh goodness, the baby weight is no joke! I’m just starting to finally lose some of the weight and we’re talking about trying to get pregnant with our next in a few months – not enough time to reach my weight goal. I ultimately have to remember that having another kid is more important than my weight goal.

• inezbayardo February 10, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Yes!! That is very true. The blessing of having children is a far better gift than a magical number on the scale. 🙂 Thanks for reading, Susannah!

10. Nicole February 14, 2016 / 4:23 am

Completely agree. Losing the last 5-10 pounds is the hardest. I am nursing and am always hungry. With my first I was more active in trying to lose the weight. I actually linked with a meal replacement protein shake program that helped increase my supply because I was getting the nutrients I needed. Plus, I lost all the baby weight in 12 weeks and then some over the next year! This second time around I haven’t been as dedicated and am looking forward to getting back on track, but we do have to enjoy those little babies as they are only little once! Love the series and blog. Thanks for sharing!