Scripture Memory Challenge: Week 4

untitledThe other day I was texting with a friend who let me know that she had just read my latest posts. She said she had read last week’s scripture memory verse and sent me the verse she is currently memorizing. Then she offered for me to use it for this week’s challenge.

I had chosen a scripture for this week but (of course) I couldn’t remember it and I couldn’t find the paper I wrote it down on. So, I actually needed a verse but there was one little word in this scripture that made me resistant.

Sanctify.

Its not that I don’t want to be sanctified, I do. But I feel so far off from that and like I should be so much closer.

I didn’t let my friend know that I was feeling resistant about this verse. She commented on the last part of the verse, which caused me to take a second look.

While I was focused on the enormity of sanctification, she was focused on the enormity of God.

The reason I am so far off from sanctification is probably because I’ve been trying to sanctify myself. But the one who called me is faithful. He is the one who will do it.

I am so very grateful for this fact.

What about you? Are there any words in scripture that bring resistance? I challenge you this week to ask God to bring you fresh perspective. Maybe your focus needs to shift, like mine did!

8 thoughts on “Scripture Memory Challenge: Week 4

1. Jed January 28, 2016 / 4:44 am

I like hearing the two different perspectives on sanctification. We can either focus on the greatness of the task and feel overwhelmed, or focus on the enormity of God and feel blessed–very cool! And a good reminder to me to stay focused on our loving God’s ability to transform, and not on my limitations. Thank you for the fresh and unique perspective!

• inezbayardo January 29, 2016 / 8:12 am

Thank you so much for stopping by, Jed!

2. Samantha January 28, 2016 / 5:36 am

What a great challenge!

3. Miranda January 28, 2016 / 7:27 am

This is such a great verse and a great reminder to turn to God to sanctify us. We can’t do it ourselves!

• inezbayardo January 29, 2016 / 8:11 am

It’s funny how we even try! Thanks for reading.

4. Marissa January 28, 2016 / 4:17 pm

That is quite the challenge. I’ve been working on memorizing all of Thessalonians as part of a study and the challenges to my character as a result is astounding.

• inezbayardo January 29, 2016 / 8:09 am

Oh wow! That’s a big challenge! Memorizing scripture definitely challenges one’s character.