4 Reminders for One Overwhelmed Mama

4-Reminders-For-one-Overwhelmed-Mama-NoviceMommy-BlogSharing a post about being overwhelmed by motherhood is difficult for me. While it fits perfectly with one of my core values, authenticity, it borders the line for another… positivity.

I’ve read far too many mommy blogs that make motherhood seem like the pits (or “the” pit) and I’ve vowed not to be one of those bloggers, or mom’s in general.

I love being a mom. I believe that it is a great privilege and a high calling. But, even so, sometimes it’s hard.

Yes, motherhood can be challenging.

And at times, motherhood is overwhelming.

Or at least it is for me. Having this little person that relies on me for everything is, in many ways, quite amazing but it can also be a big weight on my shoulders.

The fact that sometimes he cries (and cries… and cries) and I don’t know what’s wrong can be exhausting.

Also, as a single mom, the responsibility for his physical, emotional and spiritual needs rests almost entirely on my shoulders.

These things overwhelm me. Sometimes to the point of tears.

One day, not too long ago, I cried over $20.

As I laid on my bed having a minor breakdown over the $20 I had lost. I tried to console myself by saying, “you’re just overwhelmed.”

You think?!?! I’m CRYING over $20!

I know I’m overwhelmed.

But how do I stop being overwhelmed?

While there are certainly practical things I could do to deal with this overwhelming feeling, I believe a lot of it is mental.

We become overwhelmed when our have to’s and have not’s start to pile up and they become our main focus.

Our circumstances can stay exactly the same but with a change of mindset, suddenly everything changes.

After I spent some time to myself thinking about why it was that I was so overwhelmed, I decided to write down some reminders  – some things to take my mind off of the have to’s and have not’s that were consuming me at the moment.

Here’s what I came up with:

1. It won’t always be like this. I will not always be my son’s source of survival. He won’t always freak out every time he thinks I might be thinking about leaving the room. I won’t always rely so heavily on financial help from his father and our families. One day my son will wean. The time will come when he’ll beg me to leave the room (sniff). And soon enough I will bring in more income. The things that currently weigh on me will change. This is just a season.
  2. I’m not the only one. When we get so focused on our current circumstances, it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that we aren’t alone. I’m not the only mom who gets overwhelmed. It’s not my unique set of circumstances; I’m not weak or incapable. I’m human. Every mother feels this way at one time or another.
  3. I have help. I have a tendency to want to do things myself. To be independent. The fact that I chose to relocate back with my family to receive their help is a miracle in and of itself. I don’t like to ask for help. Something I have to remind myself of is that not everyone has the amount of support that I have, both physically and financially; I have help and I need to use it. I need to lay down my pride and admit that sometimes this mom thing is a little overwhelming and I would love an hour to myself.
  4. God is on my side. This may be the most important reminder of all. God is for me. He assigned me this task and He believes in me, even when I’m doubting myself and I think everyone else is too!

Though, at times the responsibility of this season overwhelms me, there are many things that I will miss about it. So, instead of being overwhelmed by it, I am choosing to focus on all of the good things. I am choosing to live in the moment and enjoy this season because it will soon be gone.

Linked up at #mommatime

23 thoughts on “4 Reminders for One Overwhelmed Mama

1. lauren January 16, 2016 / 7:13 pm

I can relate, hence my blog’s name Gently Led. When my children were very young, the scripture from Isaiah brought me comfort…He Gently leads those with young.

• inezbayardo January 16, 2016 / 9:51 pm

I love it! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

2. Miranda January 18, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Those are such great thoughts. You are doing a great job! Motherhood can be overwhelming–because it is so important. If we as moms didn’t care about our children so much, we would never get overwhelmed. So while some may say that feeling overwhelmed occasionally is a sign of weakness and wrong, I would be suspicious of a mom who was never overwhelmed. Either she would be lying or she isn’t taking motherhood seriously.
    And yes, reach out for help!!! There’s no shame in that. God gave you your support network for that reason.
    Great post!

• inezbayardo January 18, 2016 / 8:48 pm

That is a great point, Miranda! Thanks so much for stopping by. 🙂

3. Samatha January 18, 2016 / 1:32 pm

Those are great truths 🙂 I have to remind myself of these when the days are long and hard!

• inezbayardo January 18, 2016 / 8:47 pm

I think we all do! Or at least we should. 🙂 Thanks so much for reading!

4. Mary Collins January 18, 2016 / 3:25 pm

It is certainly understandable that you can feel overwhelmed at times. We all do, whether mothers or not. But remember, the Lord is with you through the good and bad. He will bring you through it all.

5. Rachel January 18, 2016 / 5:18 pm

I just want to give you a big embrace right now. I am a first time mom myself. I have a 9 week old baby girl! How old is your son? Although I am not single, my husband on some days cannot be around because he has a condition that prevents him from living a normal life. He is better on some days, and I forget that he has it, but then it will creep back up with a vengeance, and he isn’t able to function.

I freak out about little things as well. I have definitely cried over $20. In fact, I think that was the exact amount. My husband did not count the number of $20 bills he withdrew from the ATM that one day and just shoved everything in his wallet only to find out that one $20 bill was missing. He either dropped it or the ATM never spit it out.

Your thoughts are exactly my thoughts as well. I have to take everything with a grain of salt, live in the moment, take everything one step at a time. I know that knowing that “things will get better” as everyone tells me makes me feel secure, thinking that all the time makes me impatient. I have to just live in the moment, remind myself that this is normal and others are going through similar things (though some of what I’m going through is pretty rare).

Thanks for this post! 🙂

• inezbayardo January 18, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Yes, it absolutely is normal! My son is 7 months. :-)I would never pretend that I have it harder than a married mom. They both have their own challenges. I would think it would pretty tough to be in your situation not always knowing when that support may not be there. I’m so glad you read this post and can relate… and that I’m not the only one who has cried over $20! Thanks so much for stopping by. 🙂

6. Victoria @ Creative Home Keeper January 19, 2016 / 12:13 pm

Yes motherhood is so overwhelming at time, rewarding too! I have a 4 yo, 3yo and newly turned 1yo so I have days when I feel like I’m going to lose it too. I don’t always handle it well but I’m so thankful for the help of nearby family who lives nearby and the strength God provides to enjoy this season. Blessings to you Mama! 🙂

• inezbayardo January 19, 2016 / 7:25 pm

Help is so huge! But God’s strength is even bigger. I am so thankful for that, too! Thanks for reading. 🙂

7. Helen January 19, 2016 / 11:07 pm

These are encouraging words – and you are so right, the season will be soon gone. My kiddos are 8 and 9 now, and I miss those small days, even though sometimes they drove me crazy! Each season is a treasure! Bless you!

• inezbayardo January 20, 2016 / 9:55 pm

Thank you, Helen! I love that… each season is a treasure. 🙂

8. Jonathan Key January 20, 2016 / 6:55 am

I think in parenting it’s so important to remember that it won’t always be like this. Each phase is just a season of life and this too shall pass. Also remembering that God is on our side gives me great encouragement as a parent. Wonderful post!

• inezbayardo January 20, 2016 / 9:54 pm

Yes, each phase is a season. And it already feels like it’s going so fast. So, I’m determined to enjoy it even in the rough times. Thank you for reading, Jonathan!

9. Kristen May 5, 2016 / 11:48 am

Just remember that you are never alone. There will come a day we will miss the chaos of right now. This is beautiful. Thank you sharing, and joining us for some #mommatime.

10. Jennifer May 5, 2016 / 11:49 am

I’ve been there with the $20 bill- total mommy meltdown. Its being overwhelmed. After the tears cleared up it is important to remember these things. #mommatime

• inezbayardo May 5, 2016 / 4:53 pm

Yes, it is. 🙂 Thanks for reading, Jennifer!

11. Matilda Togiai May 5, 2016 / 12:21 pm

I’ve done a lot of crying during my time as a Mom..I”ve been a Mom now for almost 11 years…whoa..thats a very long time and thats a lot of crying haha. Being overhelmed is a fact of life now. It is being able to recognize that and overcome it thats key in our survival and health. Thanks for these reminders!

• inezbayardo May 5, 2016 / 9:59 pm

Yes, you are so right, being able to recognize it IS key!