Imagine a Magical Land Where Children Are Valued & Parenthood is Celebrated

On Sunday, December 13, Planned Parenthood tweeted a quote and link to an article entitled “Life in a Magical Land Where Abortions and Birth Control are Free and Plentiful. Here’s the tweet:

Planned-Parenthood-Tweet-Abortion-Should-Be-Plentiful-Novice-Mommy

My first thought when I read this tweet was, “so, what happened to safe, legal, and rare?”.  Speaking of the abortion part, of course.

Over the summer, videos displaying questionable ethics on the part of Planned Parenthood started to be released. For the next several months, there were many times that I almost took to my keyboard to write on the subject.

But I decided not to.

In October, I wrote about my own unplanned pregnancy for 31 days and even addressed the subject of abortion. Lightly addressed it, anyway.

Truth be told, in reading that post, I’m not sure anyone would understand that abortion was actually a fairly big point of contention in the beginning of my pregnancy.

But I wasn’t comfortable going too in depth. For a couple of reasons.

Though, most people are pretty passionate about abortion and abortion rights (on either side), I still realize that it is a delicate subject.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be passionate about our beliefs, but I want to be very careful about those involved. Particularly, the women and men that have chosen abortion in the past. I would never want to place any form of shame or judgment on anyone.

So, why am I writing on the subject now?

And over a tweet, no less.

I’m not sure that I can fully answer why it is that I feel a need to write a post regarding something Planned Parenthood has said or done. Perhaps it’s because in the past I would have written out of anger and irritation. And, most likely, the people that I wouldn’t want to feel shamed or judged (I know many personally) would have felt exactly that.

But now, I feel sad.

Do we really live in a world where people want abortion to be “plentiful”?

I realize now that all of the Planned Parenthood controversy that has been going on isn’t about really about abortion or women’s rights. It’s not even about the sanctity of life.

It’s about the devaluing of children.

It’s about our lack of understanding that children are gifts – they are a blessing not a curse.

Psalm-127:3-NoviceMommy-blogWhat if, instead, we imagined a magical land where new life (even in difficult circumstances) is celebrated? Where people who decided they want a van load of kids aren’t frowned upon. Where a woman or girl facing an unplanned pregnancy is empowered to do the “impossible” instead of given a way out because she’s “not ready”. Where expectant parents who feel there is no other choice are rallied behind and given a support system. A place where children are cherished as they should be.

Imagine life in a magical land where a child is seen and treated as a precious commodity rather than an inconvenience, the end of our dreams & freedom or a financial burden.

This place exists.

It exists in my heart. It exists in my family. It exists in my life.

Perhaps it exists in you.

Imagine-a-world-where-children-are-valued-novice-mommy-blog

If so, I encourage you to be a voice for children. And by that I don’t mean get your picket signs ready. I mean, do something in your world to raise the value of children in the eyes of someone else. Do something to help and encourage a struggling parent or a scared mom-to-be.

Let’s celebrate parenthood for the privilege that it is.

19 thoughts on “Imagine a Magical Land Where Children Are Valued & Parenthood is Celebrated

1. Hil December 19, 2015 / 11:22 am

Abortion is such a tricky subject, I am not really for it, but I understand there are some circumstances when it is required. I am horrified at how people use it for birth control though. Not to be graphic but they do know that is a living feeling child right?? I just don’t get it.

I know so many friends with fertility issues, it upsets me so much to hear of others I know who get one, you are an adult, there is no reason why you cannot make the right decision and help out another family with your accident.

Teen girls and rape are where I think exceptions can be made.

I would love it if you came to link up at our party:

It’s a link party and pin-up party, two parties in one! All posts will get pinned to our group pinterest board.

• inezbayardo December 19, 2015 / 11:27 am

Thanks for reading! I would love to join the linky party. I’ll check it out. 🙂 And, yes, abortion conjures up a LOT of emotion for many people. I don’t get it either, as far as ending a life. However, I certainly understand the feeling of desperation and hopelessness that an unplanned pregnancy can bring. That’s why I am so passionate about rallying people love kids to change the way we view them… and to help those in a tough spot. 🙂

2. Tessla December 19, 2015 / 12:54 pm

Beautifully written Inez!!

• inezbayardo December 19, 2015 / 2:56 pm

Thank you, Tessla! Thanks for reading. I hope you are well. Merry Christmas. 🙂

3. hena December 20, 2015 / 2:56 am

interesting read..and a sensitive topic for many women..thank u for writing about it so well!

• inezbayardo December 20, 2015 / 4:57 pm

Yes, it is a sensitive topic. Thank you so much for stopping by and reading. 🙂

• R December 23, 2015 / 9:31 pm

As a person who stands outside our local Abortuary I would like to say some things.

But first I’ll say that even from a neutral standpoint your article was well written and WONDERFULLY SAID!

On that note, I am a WAHM, I am a member of AHA, 40 Days of Life and Living Hope. I do stand outside the abortuary, with my children, with signs and panflits, and people do swear at me and call me judgmental and rude and crazy before I even open my mouth.

My panflits are honest, grace written inside and their are a lot of facts inside meant to educate and explain. Some have scripture and some have facts and photos. Some have post abortive testimony and abortuary employee accounts. Their are also panflits listing all the other clinics locally that provide all the same services outside abortions. As well as panflits specifically for the part abortive mother and father to have access to hope and healing (support groups, counceling services, online and in person 24hr assistance like Rachels Vineyard and abort73.com’s resources and other additional things that are helpful for those who are grieving post abortion)

We are not their to judge or hate, we are there to help, financially, emotionally, give rides, give our time to these mothers and to their children. Our whole motto is love for the children made in Gods image. The joy and love they bring to this world.

People have a preconceived notion about who we are and what we do. People think we are judgmental or rude except we are there for them at the end of the line with answers assistance and support pre and post abortion. We are not the bad guys.

With that said, there is NOTHING wrong with picking up your picket sign. It’s what I can do. I can pick up my sign and my literature and pray for those going in and coming out.

It is wonderful to see such a well written and loving article, and wonderful to read the comments. As a full time member of the pro life movement I think that seeing value placed on children is so wonderful! And you have a real and rare gift with writing to have been able to express your words without placing shame.

I have lost many members of my immediate family to abortion, siblings, nieces and nephews and so it is a sensitive topic. Thankfully thanks to medical advancement abortion is no longer a necessary evil (outside of Abortion on demand if you deem that necessary) in ectopic pregnancies the baby can be relocated surgically at a hospital, Gh also known as severe morning sickness can be treated, babies can be kept alive out of utero as young as 20 weeks now, and medical advancement has made it so that mothers can deliver safely under the care of a physician no matter the problem with out mortality being an issue. So I am happy to report that any removal of a baby from the womb done outside of a hospital surgical setting is not for life saving methods, meaning there is no need (outside of abortion on demand) to have abortuary presence. I place no shame upon the post abortive, but do place value in them. Encouragement in knowing they can do it. If they are at planned parenthood they CAN turn around if they want to and I am ready with tools to help them, right there on the sidewalk.

My signs are peaceful and so are my words. I am there to offer support, to aid women financially with caring for their child and to empower them to be able to make the choice to turn away. So many I talk to don’t actually view going throuh with it as a choice… 😦 (some younger than 14 and some with their pimps bringing them in for surgical abortions)

I am there at the end of the line for the babies, for the women and for their family. I have poured my heart and my home to those who have accepted my help and support and will continue to do so.

Thank you for spreading peace and congratulations on your coming arrival! God Bless you.

• inezbayardo December 23, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I currently have two Pro Life signs in my closet! And I have stood outside of Planned Parenthood holding them, peacefully, with literature and a listening ear. I also volunteer at the local pregnancy center and some of my fellow peer counselors regularly stand outside of Planned Parenthood (which is right across the street), as sidewalk counselors. I was just encouraging a friend the other day to become a sidewalk counselor! Also, There’s a gentleman that sets up a van in front of Planned Parenthood (full of signs!) every week and he frequently sends women and girls our way. All that to say… my intention was NOT to put that down, by any means. I know that there are many people making a positive difference. That being said, I would be careful to encourage just anyone to go do that. Which is probably why I threw that in there! 🙂 God bless you in your ministry. I know from experience, it is not an easy fight but it is most definitely worth it.

4. Marissa December 22, 2015 / 10:34 am

It does take a sensitive heart to bring up these matters – the devaluing of children, and life in general happens we devalue the Creator of that life.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

• inezbayardo December 22, 2015 / 10:48 am

Very good point! Thanks for reading. 🙂

• inezbayardo December 23, 2015 / 9:47 am

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

5. Jonathan Key December 23, 2015 / 10:44 am

This was beautifully written and you are so brave Inez! And I so agree what if we were to stop and remind ourselves that children are a blessing not a curse. I’m sharing this on Facebook and Twitter. Keep speaking the truth from your heart!

• inezbayardo December 23, 2015 / 2:41 pm

Thank you, Jonathan! I appreciate the encouragement and support.

6. Helen December 23, 2015 / 11:33 am

Lovely post, carefully and thoughtfully expressed. It’s a tricky topic, sure, but this…Our side of the argument needs advocates. Thank you for bringing attention to this.

• inezbayardo December 23, 2015 / 2:40 pm

Thank you for reading! And, yes, you’re right we need advocates. Peaceful yet bold ones. More and more I am feeling the draw to be that. 🙂

• R December 23, 2015 / 9:52 pm

I hope you can read my comment soon. It is awaiting review bit should not take long to be up. I write in my comment about how I peacefully advocate our side. Hope it is encouraging to you.

7. Tara December 23, 2015 / 7:30 pm

Great job addressing a touchy subject. I can’t imagine anyone thinking the “plentiful abortion” quote would be a good idea, even if you are pro-choice.

• inezbayardo December 23, 2015 / 10:33 pm

Yeah, I agree. I was actually quite surprised to see that so many had liked that tweet. Even knowing that, they are followers and most likely supporters of Planned Parenthood. Something is seriously wrong. 😦 Thanks for stopping by!