DIY Diaper Cream

DIY-Diaper-Cream-Novice-Mommy-Blog

I recently went to a baby shower where we played “The Price is Right”. There were various baby items and the party goers had to guess the price of each item. One of the items was a diaper cream or “Butt Cream”, actually. When I heard the store price, I nearly choked.

It made me very happy that I make my own!

When I was pregnant, I made diaper cream, baby wash and wipe solution. My son is now 6 months old and I haven’t even used a quarter of the diaper cream… definitely worth the (very minimal) cost!

And all you need is two ingredients!

Here’s how to make your own diaper cream (and save a ton of money):

Ingredients: Coconut Oil & Vitamin E Oil

Directions: Take 1 cup of coconut oil (amount can vary based on preference) and place in a mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on medium-high until coconut oil becomes a whipped consistency. Add a teaspoon of Vitamin E Oil. Place the cream in a small mason jar (or container of your choice).

And you’re ready to rub it on baby’s bum! I sometimes use it as lotion as well, particularly if my little guy has patchy dry spots. (Also, I got a rash on my leg when I was pregnant and remembered the diaper cream. I put it on and the rash was gone in the morning!)

UPDATE (6/16): My son is one year old and we’re almost halfway through the cream.

12 thoughts on “DIY Diaper Cream

1. Lily from Lilydaily.com March 25, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I love all things natural and chemical free and I use coconut oil often at home. You are right, your diaper cream can also be used as a cream as well, great idea!

2. Brittany Bly March 25, 2016 / 9:12 pm

You are kidding me?!? I had no idea you could use coconut oil + vitamin E. Can you add essential oils? If so, what age?

• inezbayardo March 25, 2016 / 10:20 pm

I’m pretty sure you can use coconut oil for EVERYTHING! haha. Yes, you can also add essential oils. The original recipe I read called for Tea Tree (Melaleuca). I opted to use Vitamin E instead because Tea Tree can be pretty harsh, even though it would be quite diluted, I was a nervous soon-to-be first time mom! I’ve also read that it could cause hormonal changes. I haven’t seen any age restrictions but you could always check with a doctor or essential oils expert. I think the main thing is that you dilute and only use 1-2 drops. This site has a list of oils that are safe for babies and children: http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/Essential_Oils_Care_for_Babies_and_Children_s/40.htm

3. Myda Tahir March 28, 2016 / 1:27 am

just took my breath reading this, only two ingredients and done.
    surely will give it a try.

• inezbayardo March 28, 2016 / 10:54 pm

Yes, SO easy! Thanks for reading, Myda. 🙂

4. provokeasmileblog March 28, 2016 / 12:16 pm

Really helpful information for any new mom and I am sure this is much safer and you know exactly what went into it!

• inezbayardo March 28, 2016 / 10:51 pm

So true! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

5. jennifer June 10, 2016 / 10:28 am

This is awesome I need to try this.

• inezbayardo June 10, 2016 / 10:54 am

It really is! Saves so much money, too.