While Thanksgiving Day itself may not be a Biblical holiday, the principle of giving thanks is most certainly Biblical! Did you know that the word thanks or thanksgiving appears in the Bible approximately 100 times (depending on the version)? That doesn’t even include other variations such as thank, thanked, thankful, etc.
Giving thanks to God is even modeled to us by Jesus. There is no mistaking that we, as Christians, are to have hearts of gratitude. Here are 10 verses on thankfulness to contemplate as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving!
- Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! Psalm 100:4 (ESV)
- In that wonderful day you will sing: “Thank the lord! Praise his name! Tell the nations what he has done. Let them know how mighty he is! Isaiah 12:4 (NLT)
- And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name. 1 Chronicles 29:13 (ESV)
- Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. Psalm 118:1 (NLT)
- Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (ESV)
- And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:15-17 (ESV)
- Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 2 Corinthians 9:15 (NASB)
- Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Psalm 105:1 (ESV)
- It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to the Most High. Psalm 92:1 (NLT)
- Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence. Psalm 140:13 (NASB)