Dance: A Lesson From 2 Samuel {Whole Mama}

dance-a-lesson-from-2-Samuel-novice-mommy-blog

2 Samuel 6:12-23
But as the Ark of the LORD entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she was filled with contempt for him. They brought the Ark of the LORD and set it in its place inside the special tent David had prepared for it. And David sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings to the LORD. When he had finished his sacrifices, David blessed the people in the name of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. Then he gave to every Israelite man and woman in the crowd a loaf of bread, a cake of dates, and a cake of raisins. Then all the people returned to their homes. When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!” David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the LORD, who chose me above your father and all his family! He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the LORD, so I celebrate before the LORD. Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes! But those servant girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinguished!” So Michal, the daughter of Saul, remained childless throughout her entire life.

For as long as I can remember, I was under the impression that David had danced naked. That’s not true. He was not dressed any differently than the priests would have been dressed for this type of procession (see 1 Chronicles 15:27). Basically, he was not being immodest.

Why then, did Michal become so angry with her husband’s behavior?

Let’s look a little at David and Michal’s history…

Michal was King Saul’s daughter. In 1 Samuel, we learn that David was supposed to marry Michal’s older sister, but Saul gave her to someone else. Saul learned that Michal was in love with David and decided to give her to David – for the price of dead Philistines.

Michal was deeply in love with David and at one point had even saved his life by helping him escape from her father. They were separated for several years when her father gave her to another man. David eventually won her back, but by this
time he had acquired many other wives. Now, Michal is reunited with the love of her life only to find that she has to share him.

//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js //

So, when we catch up with her in 2 Samuel Chapter 6, she is bitter.

Her rage toward David wasn’t really about his dancing in front of servant girls; it was about years of bitterness. And, unfortunately, it reared its ugly head at a pretty inopportune time.

Bringing the Ark of the Lord to Jerusalem was a BIG DEAL! In those times, The Ark of the Lord (Covenant) was literally God’s presence.

Here Michal was in the midst of God’s presence and all she could focus on was the fact that her husband had danced “exposing himself” in front of the servant girls and everyone else.

She couldn’t even enjoy God’s presence.

Think about it, she was part of an historical event. So historical that it was recorded in God’s Word, but instead of joining the celebration, the poor girl exploded in a jealous rage.

Michal missed out on a time of celebration because she never dealt with her bitterness.

I don’t know about you, but that’s not how I want to be remembered or how I want to live my life.   When people break into song and dance, I want to join them. Better yet, I want to lead them! I don’t’ want to stand watching and I certainly don’t want to explode with anger.

Had Michal dealt with the disappointments of her life, I believe she would have danced.

What’s holding you back from joining the dance?

This post is linked with Whole Mama.

12 thoughts on “Dance: A Lesson From 2 Samuel {Whole Mama}

1. Krina Ulmer November 3, 2015 / 11:29 pm

Wow, what a great question – it will take some thought. What has caught my attention here most is the how we miss out because we are so often looking through our own veil of self. We misjudge others because of this. Thank you for the insight.

• inezbayardo November 4, 2015 / 12:28 am

Very true… that veil of self causes a lot of problems! Thanks so much for reading. 🙂

2. Katie @ Stress and Stars November 6, 2015 / 4:23 pm

I love when #wholemama posts are essentially a short Bible study – it gets me out of my work-brain for a few minutes in the best way.

I think part of the “exposing himself” was also the idea that the King would show that he is also “just” a man. His dancing out of joy was probably not the ceremonial or ritual dancing he would have been expected to know, but instead simply the wild happiness of a person feeling pure joy – uncoordinated, perhaps not even to any particular rhythm. In a time when kings are ordained by God to lead their people, and Michel was raised a king’s daughter, she may have also seen him as ‘exposing himself’ as simply human in the eyes of the people.

I think she was bitter, too, of course. Bitterness blinds us to joy. I find that hard right now in my own life to remember, and so I am definitely trying to focus more on seeking happiness.

• inezbayardo November 6, 2015 / 9:57 pm

That is very true! Thanks for reading and sharing your perspective.

3. Gayl November 9, 2015 / 10:12 pm

Oh, I love this! I had always heard the story as you mentioned at the beginning, but I couldn’t help but think that something wasn’t right in the telling of it. I tend to agree with you, that Michal was bitter and David was joyously dancing before the Lord. I want to be in on the celebrating, too! 🙂 Great post!

4. Erika Shirk November 9, 2015 / 10:24 pm

I love this, Inez. Thanks for pointing us to this story and breaking down this way. I love your insights here. So many points to think on.

5. Melissa Cunningham April 2, 2016 / 11:44 pm

I really enjoyed reading this. I believe she would’ve danced too.

6. Amanda | Maple Alps April 3, 2016 / 4:29 pm

Interesting thoughts! I’ve never heard the story in this way. I’ll have to contemplate it some more 🙂 Makes lots of sense! And I love how you tied in the practical lesson about dealing with disappointment!

7. Molly April 4, 2016 / 6:41 pm

Wow- what a thought provoking question. I don’t know what keeps me reserved from rejoicing in the lord. This will take some thought.

8. Myda Tahir April 5, 2016 / 8:27 am

Well, i have a little knowledge of comparative theology and I haven’t heard about this Prophet’s Daud’s incident.