Purpose Driven Mother

I had a conversation years ago, I’m talking over 10 years ago, that I have never forgotten.

And I never will.

At the time I was a children’s pastor and though I didn’t have children of my own, teaching children about God and His Word was (and still is) a passion of mine.

In talking with a young mom she told me, “I hope my kids go to heaven”.

WHAT?!?!?

It took everything in me not to flip my lid, outwardly anyway, on the inside my lid was flipped.

You “hope” they go to heaven?

That shouldn’t even be in question.

That’s your job!

I wanted to spew these things out but, instead, I tried to express them in a more gentle way… leaving out the “that’s your job” part.

That conversation was a turning point for me as a children’s minister. Up until then, I felt my “job” was to teach kids about God in a fun, relatable way. And it was. But if I wanted to be effective, really effective, I needed to get to parents. I needed to help them understand their role as spiritual leaders.

You can’t just “hope” your child goes to heaven.

After that conversation, I began spending a lot more time with parents. Over the years, I’ve had many heartfelt conversations with moms on how to raise their children spiritually.

Now that I’m a mother, I’ve thought back to that conversation quite a bit. When you spend your career working with kids but have none of your own, you hear, “just wait until you have kids” or “you’ll change your mind when you have kids” more times than I’d like to recall.

So, have I changed my mind?

Do I think I was too hard on that young mom?

Not at all. If anything, I wish I had done more to help her.

Our job as (Christian) parents is to train our children “in the way [they] should go”. It’s not to “hope” them there. It’s a serious job. One that, I believe, is deserving of the passion I had that day many years ago.

I recognize the high calling God has placed on my life, the calling to be Malachi’s mother.  I recognize the importance of being a purpose driven mother.  I can’t just “hope” him into a God-fearing man.

I have to teach him, train him and guide him on purpose.

This post is a submission in the Whole Mama link-up. To read more on the prompt “purpose” or to submit your own, click here.

9 thoughts on “Purpose Driven Mother

1. Amanda Cleary Eastep September 5, 2015 / 8:52 pm

Thought provoking post. As parents and step parents of grown children, we have raised them in the way they should go, but we have also had the heartbreak of watching some of them stray. Our jobs as Christian parents never cease, even when children turn into men and women with their own wills and ways. So, too, our prayers and talks and walks never cease, striving always to do more than “hope” them back onto their path to God.

• Inez Bayardo September 5, 2015 / 10:37 pm

I think sometimes we forget the second part of that scripture, “when he is old he will not depart from it”. It’s hard to think that my little guy could some day stray but I know that if I do my part, God will do His. Same with you. 🙂 Thanks for reading!

2. theameribritmom September 7, 2015 / 2:05 pm

I love this post! Would you mind if I reblogged this post? I think people who follow my blog would really benefit from this topic and I couldn’t say it any better than you just did. It’s a convicting message and I love the way you put it.

• Inez Bayardo September 7, 2015 / 2:27 pm

Of course! Thanks for reading… and sharing. 🙂

3. Erika Shirk September 7, 2015 / 10:07 pm

“We can’t just hope them there.”

Excellent point. And wayto be purposeful. I’m still learning my way to guiding my little ones in this way.

I hope our pastors will be as helpful in that journey as it sounds you were to other parents 🙂