Prayer: Not My Will

not-my-will-lady-whole-mama-prayer

The birth of my son went nothing like planned. I mean nothing. In fact, everything I didn’t want is exactly what happened.

On the day my son was born, 4 days after being admitted in the hospital, I was facing the possibility of a c-section. My mom said, “let’s pray”. I blurted out, “No! We keep praying and it’s not working”.

It seemed useless.

My prayers weren’t working and, therefore, I didn’t want to pray.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit it but that’s exactly how I felt and I don’t think I’m alone.

I think at one time or another, if we’re being honest, we’ve all felt this way.

At some point in time, you have probably prayed for something and it “didn’t work”. It’s happened to me more than just this one time.  And it will probably happen again.

In fact, it will continue to happen until we can learn to pray the way that Jesus did: “Not my will but your will…”.

Too often we treat prayer like a wish list and God is our Santa. We lay out our wants instead of aligning our prayers with the will of God.

Yes, God wants us to come to Him with our desires and our needs but so much more than that, He wants to communicate with us. He wants us to not only to talk but also to listen.

Perhaps if we listened more our prayers would work.

To read more on the Whole Mama “prayer” prompt or to submit your own post, click here.

10 thoughts on “Prayer: Not My Will

1. Lindsey Smallwood July 15, 2015 / 10:03 pm

Been there friend. Still learning to listen more to a God who is definitely not Santa.

2. Amanda Cleary Eastep July 16, 2015 / 4:12 pm

Yes, I’m sure all who pray have been in that place, wondering why it isn’t “working.” Thanks for your post…so many wonderful voices at #wholemama.

3. Jamie Wright Bagley July 16, 2015 / 9:21 pm

More and more I have come to realize that prayer is more about the relationship- my connection to God- than it is about making life go according to the(ahem, my) plan. 🙂

4. Gayl July 17, 2015 / 3:02 pm

“Perhaps if we listened more, we would know more how to pray according to His will because we would know Him more.” I’m still working on this one, too. It’s so easy to just bring our requests to Him with the answer we want in mind. But prayer is so much more. It is a relationship which also includes praise and trust. I’m learning that even when I don’t know what the answer will be that I can have peace knowing that He knows best. Thanks for sharing your wise words.

5. Grace Mountain Diaries July 18, 2015 / 6:01 pm

Yes. “Perhaps if we listened more, we would know more how to pray according to His will because we would know Him more.” We all need to continue moving toward Him and His will and walking away from the desires we have. Trusting that His plan and His will is perfect. Thank you for sharing so vulnerably and honestly.

6. Esther Emery July 20, 2015 / 4:27 am

Oh, yes. Tricky, difficult, completely familiar stuff. Thanks for sharing.

7. caiobhesblog July 20, 2015 / 5:50 am

with some things I’ve reached a point I can’t pray about them anymore because I’ve prayed and prayed and nothing has changed. That’s the point where I let other people take over for me. Sometimes we hold each other’s prayers. And I think that’s ok. Thanks for sharing this.

8. Erika Shirk July 24, 2015 / 2:13 pm

Love your honesty here. Exactly what I feel sometimes too.