Hope Changes Things {Five Minute Friday}

Last October, when I found out I was pregnant, I was in desperate need of some hope.

As much as I wanted to be a mom, more than anything else in the world, my circumstance was less than ideal. Instead of feeling the excitement of being a parent and the hope of what this new life could bring, I felt overwhelmed and… hopeless.

I had no idea how I could possibly raise a child an ocean away from my loved ones. I didn’t have space for a baby where I lived and I couldn’t afford anything bigger. Who would watch my baby? Who would take me to the hospital? How am I going to tell my family? Who am I going to disappoint?

In retrospect, these questions seem so trivial but at the time they were suffocating me.

I remember the first time in my pregnancy that I felt a glimmer of hope. It was fairly early on and didn’t change the way I felt immediately but a seed of hope had been planted in my heart.

After being denied a trip to the bathroom, which left me in tears, I decided to inform my boss that I was pregnant. I started off with, “It’s not a good thing but…”. In spite of my demeanor she lit up with excitement and said, “This is great news. A baby is always a good thing. Your baby could grow up to be President!”.

Up until that point, I had not thought of my baby in any way other than a reminder of my hurt feelings and rejection or an innocent victim of my poor judgment and bad choices.

But that day, my boss’ comment gave me hope. It gave me something to look forward to.

What would my baby grow up to be?

Hope looks beyond what is and toward what could be.

It is a light in darkness.

Hope changes things.

For me it was a slow process but I held on to that small piece of hope.

The next couple of months were extremely difficult but little by little I started to share my pregnancy with friends and family. And little by little, I started to feel the hope that others spoke of.

The hope that my life would never be the same, and I wouldn’t want it to be.

The hope that I wouldn’t have to do this alone.

The hope that I would never be able to imagine life without my son nor would I ever want to.

The hope that babies have a way of softening even the hardest of hearts.

The hope that God is the Creator of life and He had big plans for this tiny new person.

The hope that, I wouldn’t always feel broken.

All I needed was a little bit of hope… and it changed my life.

Read more about hope and Five Minute Friday here.

10 thoughts on “Hope Changes Things {Five Minute Friday}

1. Drusilla Barron July 10, 2015 / 9:43 pm

Wow! What powerful testimony. I’m so glad the spark of hope was waiting for you. I’ll keep you in my prayers as you continue your novitiate.

Visiting from Five Minute Friday,

• Inez Bayardo July 11, 2015 / 5:03 pm

Thank you! Prayers are most definitely appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. Ina Library July 10, 2015 / 10:36 pm

Hi mama, I’m so happy I found your blog. My heart fills with joy to read your post and I am so excited for you. Your boss is right and this is a beautiful thing. I can relate to many things you wrote, including and especially fear and worry. I, too, wondered where I would “put” the baby because we had no room! But there is always going to be “something.” Taking on an attitude of hope and finding peace in your days during this pregnancy is most important. I will continue to pray for you and I look forward to reading more of your journey!!!! And remember… “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you…” This, indeed, is God’s plan and he has many beautiful things in store!

• Inez Bayardo July 11, 2015 / 5:02 pm

Thank you for your encouragement and for stopping by. πŸ™‚

3. Barbie July 11, 2015 / 3:24 am

An unexpected pregnancy can bring feelings of lost hope, but I’m so glad you found the hope you were seeking. So glad I stopped by from the FMF!

• Inez Bayardo July 11, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Yes, me too! Sadly, not every woman facing unexpected pregnancy has people, like I did, to help them see the hope. Thanks for stopping by!

4. denise July 11, 2015 / 6:13 am

praise God, He is our hope.

• Inez Bayardo July 11, 2015 / 4:25 pm

Yes, He is! Thanks for stopping by. πŸ™‚

5. overthemoonwithjoy July 11, 2015 / 3:48 pm

Loved your heart shared here today. Babies are always a gift from God. Glad He blessed you with such an awesome gift.

Nice to meet you! This was my first time joining in (#60) and so excited to be meeting new people and changing up my blogging possibilities!

blessings!

Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

• Inez Bayardo July 11, 2015 / 4:25 pm

Wow! 8 kids, that’s awesome. I’ll have to check out your post. I’m glad you joined, it’s a fun way to connect with other women/mommies that share a passion for writing. πŸ™‚