I Need Quiet {Whole Mama}

I-Need-Quiet-Novice-MommyI grew up with a rather large extended family. It was fun having so many cousins to play with. Christmas was always a highlight – singing, dancing, games, food and lots of presents.

Oh yeah, and noise.

As much as I loved being with my family, I had my limit. After awhile I had to sneak off and find somewhere, anywhere, that was quiet.

I haven’t spent a Christmas with my extended family in almost 20 years but I find myself doing the same thing with my much smaller immediate family.

I just need to get alone. Away from the noise.

Some people thrive in the noise. They love large groups.

Not me.

Don’t get me wrong. I love to have fun and I can be quite loud but I need to be alone.

I need quiet.

As the mom of a one month old, currently living with family, getting my quiet time is quite challenging. These days a trip to the bathroom is my sanctuary.

A shower is heaven to me, where all I hear is the rushing of water.

I need quiet.

I need it to reset my mind. To empty all of the noise. The noise of other people. The noise of culture. The noise of phones and tv and media.

I need quiet.

I need it relax my body. Breathing deeply in silence has a way of relieving tension like few other things can.

I need quiet.

I need it to be reminded that I’m not actually alone. In the noise of life, the voices of others and even of my own thoughts, I can easily lose the voice that matters most. I can easily forget the Presence of the One that is always there.

I need quiet to reconnect with myself and, more importantly, my Creator.

Why do you need quiet?

To read more posts on the #wholemama prompt of “quiet”, click here.

9 thoughts on “I Need Quiet {Whole Mama}

1. Esther Emery July 2, 2015 / 5:58 am

I love the shower for that reason, too! I’m the youngest of seven, so it wasn’t just holidays that there was noise, noise, noise. We all were great readers (of great books) because that was a way to escape our wild family and enter into some peace. I hope you get the quiet you need, and the hot water never runs out.

• novicemommy July 2, 2015 / 5:10 pm

I always wished I was from a big family but now I don’t think I would have fared well. Either that or I would have been the cleanest kid in town. 🙂

2. Amanda Cleary Eastep July 2, 2015 / 11:21 am

This is a good lesson in recognizing and stating honestly what we need, not only as mothers but as people. Glad your little one has inspired your to write!

• novicemommy July 2, 2015 / 4:28 pm

Thanks so much for reading! I’m glad, too. I think I need to write like I need quiet. 🙂

3. Jamie Wright Bagley July 2, 2015 / 3:31 pm

The shower is my sanctuary, too! Oh the glory of privacy. It’s a great place to get my thoughts sorted. I need the quiet so I can remember to breathe, and remember to see myself as a whole person and not just the sum of other people’s needs.

4. Grace Mountain Diaries July 3, 2015 / 2:40 pm

Yes. That driving need for quiet, with littles. Sigh. Such a hard balance, that continues as they grow. Praying you find quiet for your heart and soul today.

5. Gayl July 3, 2015 / 8:49 pm

“I need quiet to reconnect with myself and, more importantly, my Creator.” I hear you, because the same goes for me. I love being around people and I thrive with the interaction, but there comes a time when I have to have some quiet, alone time, time to pray or write in my journal, time to relax, etc.

6. lindseysmallwood July 5, 2015 / 7:36 pm

Oh Inez, you got it, bathroom time is me time and I am so thankful. Here’s hoping for a little extra for you this week!