Shalom in a Sleeping Baby

Ok, so I came across this Whole Mama Challenge and I decided to participate.

I thought it would be fun to link up with other mommy bloggers and get some content inspiration. So, every Tuesday I will post my thoughts on the subject given from the challenge.

Today’s topic? Shalom.

We all know what Shalom means, right?

Peace.

Oh sweet peace.

But it’s more than that. Shalom brings wholeness.

As the mommy of a newborn babe, life can be a bit overwhelming and it’s easy to feel anything but whole. My hair is a mess, my clothes don’t fit and I don’t think I’ve been outdoors for more than an hour in the last two weeks. Also…

I’m tired.

And on top of that, I find myself worrying. A lot.

Is he eating enough?

Is he sleeping enough?

Is he sleeping too much?

Why is he breathing like that?

Wait, is he still breathing?

Does he feel warm?

His feet feel cold… are his feet cold?

How many times did he poop today?

I don’t have any money. I need money! Anxiety starts to creep in. But then I look at the sleeping babe in my arms, so sweet and so peaceful.

He’s not worried. He knows when he calls out, I will be there to tend to his needs.

He has no need to worry.

And neither do I.

In my arms he sleeps, oblivious to my disheveled hair, ill-fitting clothes, lack of sleep and all of my worries.

I see his smile I hear the sweet sound of his breathing.

In and out. In and out.

Slowly, I feel my anxieties slip away.

This baby in my arms brings me an overwhelming sense of peace. When I look at his face, as he sleeps so peacefully, I can’t help but feel that everything is going to be ok.

This is my Shalom.

10 thoughts on “Shalom in a Sleeping Baby

1. Gayl June 17, 2015 / 12:53 pm

“When I’m holding him in my arms, overwhelmed with peace and a love I’ve never known before, I can’t help but feel whole.” Beautiful! My children are all grown but I remember holding them as newborns, watching them as they slept. It is very peaceful and calm and you do feel whole. Welcome to #WholeMama.

• novicemommy June 17, 2015 / 5:59 pm

Thank you! I’m glad to be a part of #wholemama. Looking forward to the coming weeks. Thanks for reading!

2. Jamie Wright Bagley June 17, 2015 / 1:22 pm

This is beautiful. I remember feeling and thinking so many of those same things in early motherhood. The moments get etched into memory in a sort of sleep-deprived mosaic. I remember stopping and thinking “treasure this.” This is a wonderful time, but also so hard, but also so sacred. And sometimes so “why me?” in all the ways. 🙂 Keep holding on to that shalom. Know that you are seen and heard and held, too. May your days be filled with the spirit of peace.

• novicemommy June 17, 2015 / 6:00 pm

Thank you for the encouragement and thanks for reading!

3. Erika (daylilyoverflow) June 17, 2015 / 10:25 pm

Holding those brand new babies is such a gift. I’m so glad you’re joining us! I am inspired by our little community.

• novicemommy June 18, 2015 / 6:30 am

Thanks! I’m looking forward to the next few weeks with #wholemama. Thanks for taking the time to read. 🙂

4. Esther Emery June 17, 2015 / 11:56 pm

It’s true. Babies don’t mind a bit what our hair looks like, do they? That’s a gift right there. I’m glad you’re joining us and look forward to what you write next!

• novicemommy June 18, 2015 / 12:36 am

Yes, it is a gift! Thanks so much for reading and for doing #wholemama. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you ladies have up next.

5. lindseysmallwood June 23, 2015 / 4:23 am

Love this – it is so precious to hold a sleeping baby.

• novicemommy June 23, 2015 / 10:48 pm